Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ode to gluten free pizza

The last time I was at my favorite pizza chain in town, Mellow Mushroom, I noticed they had gluten free pizza crust. Intrigued I made a note to try it on my next visit - tonight that came to fruition.

GF Crust Ingredients:
Bean, rice and tapioca flour, starch, yeast and egg.

I'm not 100% sure this is Carb Lover's friendly, but given the choice between this and hand-tossed, greasy, white flour crust, I think it's at least a slight improvement.

I ordered the Mega Veggie with mounds of olives, tomatoes, onions, peppers, broccoli, artichokes and tofu. I substituted daiya dairy-free cheese for the feta.



Can you say, "freaking, absolutely delicious?!" I ate half of a 12" - I. just. couldn't. stop. eating. it. The crust was thin and crispy, but surprisingly flavorful. And the non-dairy cheese? ZOMG - soooooooo creamy, like better than regular mozzarella. The veggies were also super fresh and crunchy.

I have no idea how many calories were in this, but I did find that Uno's Chicago Pizza Grill has a similar item, and I calculated half of one of theirs to be 480 calories and I added approximately 1/4 cup of tofu for a grand total of 530 cals for half a 12" pizza. Not bad, even if I underestimated a bit, because I set aside 1,000 cals for dinner tonight not knowing what the options would be for me at this place.

The best part is my friends let me take the leftovers home for lunch tomorrow - now that's what I call friends!