Thursday, June 10, 2010

CMT Awards and Community Supported Agriculture

Sorry for the radio silence the last two days. Busy week here in Big Life. Last night I attended the CMT Awards, which was fabulous. Can I cross 'attending an awards show' off my 101 in 1001 list that I haven't created yet? It was really cool to see what goes on behind the scenes production wise, I get a kick out of seeing the stage guys prepping the celebrities for their intros.

Tonight, KG took me to her gym to see if I would like their water aerobics class. Being the stubborn girl I am, I chose the "heavy weights" and I can already tell I'll be sore tomorrow! It's a great feeling. I plan to try out the Y Saturday and make a decision where to join.

Wednesdays are CSA (community supported agriculture) day in the Big Life household. I joined a CSA from a local, organic farm with 3 friends. When you join a CSA you pay a fee for the 'season' (ours is May - Oct) and then each week we get a 'share' of what is produced on the farm. For the last 4 weeks, we've brought home a 1/2 bushel of fresh produce to enjoy. So far, we've received kale (lots), broccoli, swish chard, lettuces, zucchini, yellow squash, strawberries, green onions, arugula, basil and so much more!


Our CSA box from the second week


The first CSA meal - Kale omelets and hashbrown potatoes


Another CSA meal - bok choy stirfry


The lettuce plants at Delvin Farms, when we attended the member picnic.


Joining the CSA has been great for trying new produce I haven't had before (Kale, Swiss chard). And it's forcing KG and I to eat more veggies. Tonight, our dear house guest, Sarah, made us cabbage stirfry and sauteed zucchini and squash. It was DELICIOUS!

If you are at all interested in the CSA concept, I completely encourage you to research joining one in your community. They are more affordable than you think (my part of the share comes out to approx. $8 per week), most farms have full and half shares for singles and families alike, and some even with barter services with you. It makes me happy each week as we discover what goodies have been packed in our box and then make a mad dash to consume all of it in 7 days.

It's a pretty packed weekend in Big Life. Sex in the City 2, pool time, CMA festival and a Whole Foods/Trader Joe's trip is in store. And in all of that I need one more work out for my week to make my goal. What are you doing this weekend?