Saturday, March 5, 2011

Week 1 check-in: Healthy March Challenge


March is in full swing and so is the Healthy March challenge!

I am so happy to have the supporters on Twitter doing this challenge with me. I am going to try to be better about Tweeting the challenge first thing in the morning as a reminder and check-in throughout the day.

With March 1st on a Tuesday, this was a short week of challenges. So how did I do?
  • Tuesday I had my two servings of fruits as snacks (and then some) - I had 1 banana in the morning and some pineapple in the afternoon
  • Wednesday I had 20 almonds (140 cals) - I actually keep a bag of unsalted almonds at my desk at work, so I admit this wasn't a hard one for me to complete
  • Thursday was the nicest day of the week (with a high of 72) so it was wonderful to get out at lunch and take a walk. I ended up walking across campus to the medical center and back (about 25 minutes). I need to remember to do this more often!
So I completed 3 out of 5 days.

Today, I completely forgot about the challenge. I had brown rice for dinner, but lunch was fajitas, so I didn't have any rice or pasta with them. So I didn't complete today's challenge

Yesterday, I was running late before work and couldn't bother make eggs with veggies (my only idea I could think of for having veggies at breakfast). After polling the other Healthy March participants, I realized I could have easily popped a scrambled egg with broccoli in the microwave and sandwiched it between two slices of bread. Another participant had avocado spread on her whole wheat bagel. Genius!

Next week, I'm confident I can complete each day's challenge. I am especially excited for Tuesday's challenge: "use only stairs today." I work on the 10th floor, so it should be fun :)

If you're interested in the Wellcasts the calendar references, you can find them here.

Weigh in tomorrow - I'm pulling for a good one!