Monday, February 6, 2012

A NSV - My First Massage

This may seem like a weird thing to classify as a NSV, but at 355 lbs - or even 329 (where I was when I started this blog) - I would NEVER have thought to get naked and layout on a table covered with a sheet as a stranger methodically relaxes all the muscles in my body with their hands.

Yeah, creepy, right?

But actually, it was fabulous.

I don't talk about body image issues enough here, I guess because I try not to focus on mine. But everyone has them and I feel like my love/hate relationship with my body is no worse or better then normal. I actually feel like I put more body image pressure on myself since losing weight. It's a weird effect of weight loss, but something I have noticed over the last few months.

Anyway, any professional massage therapist is going to be just that - professional and it really lessened any self-consciousness feeling I had about this stranger seeing all my imperfections.

My massage therapist was wonderful - he knew it was my first massage and was very professional and explained everything to me before the session and even interjected some information on what he was planning on doing as he worked. He allowed me to decide whether to leave on my underthings or have them come off and ultimately I decided to dive in and everything came off. I think you get a better quality massage that way because they don't have to awkwardly work around clothing.

Overall, it was a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone who puts in a great deal of exercise stress on their body or for people who sit at a desk for 8 hours a day. I will definitely be going back to get one after my next half marathon!

This crosses off another item from my 101 in 1001 list.

5 comments:

marisol said...

So awesome & I know exactly what you mean. I hear all these awesome things about massages but I just don't have the confidence to do so. maybe as I lose weight I will gain some confidence.

Anonymous said...

I just had my first one a few weeks ago and regret waiting so long ! I had the same issues about it but it was wonderful.So glad you had a good experience as well.

Karen Bledsoe said...

I'm glad that you have a lot of trust in your massage therapist. He did the right thing for you, understanding that it was your first massage. That's how a professional therapist should deal with his/her patients: he/she discusses things first before the actual massage and let you decide if you want to continue. Communication is the key, as always.

Orlando Fishing said...

This is really cool thing.

Unknown said...

Having a massage is like heaven on Earth – it makes you feel lighter and happier. :) It has a lot of benefits and helps keep one person to stay healthy. I’m glad you enjoyed your first massage. By the way, you’re looking great!

Gregg Mulherin

Post a Comment