Friday, December 23, 2011

What will you remember about this Christmas?

I've been "home" in St. Louis for the last 36 hours and I'm not going to pretend I've been eating super healthy. But I'm having a great time so far spending time with my family, especially my 4 year old niece. Here are a few gems from our cookie making session on Wednesday night:

First, I gave her the job of unwrapping all the Hershey Kisses for the peanut butter blossoms I was making. I strongly warned her not to eat them since we had not had dinner yet. Every time I looked over at her, it looked like she was eating something. "Madelynnn," I'd say, "are you eating those? Open your mouth and show Auntie Em." And nothing would be in her mouth. After about 3 rounds of this, I saw her put her little fingers out to her mouth - she was eating the little "tips" off the Hershey Kisses! I know I shouldn't, but I couldn't help but laugh.

Then, after an expired peanut butter mishap (seriously, you find the weirdest expired crap in my mom's pantry) I was going to scoop some peanut butter in the trash can and "PLOP!" - a whole scoopful landed on my mom's just cleaned kitchen floor. My niece chimed in, "your mom is going to KILL you!"

I may feel a little guilty about wasting calories on vodka last night and eating too much at dinner, but in 10 years those moments above are what I'll remember from this Christmas. Not how I drank and ate too much or that I gained 5 pounds.

2 comments:

marisol said...

I made the "good" choice to stay home and not go to Mexico for the holidays. Do I regret it? No. But I will miss the hell out of my family. Right now, I am in a point in my life where I need to put myself first. I haven't done that for the past 32 years and if this is what needs to happen for me to stay on track, then so be it. I will definitely miss the laughter and being in company of my family.

I think losing weight is not just about losing weight. It is about what is important to us and the memories we make. I know that if I had gone to Mexico, my eating would've been out of control and I would've regretted going. Does that make me selfish? Maybe but I am ok with that right now.

However, you enjoy the hell out of your family. You deserve it.

Anonymous said...

It is the moments we remember for sure. Well done on your journey so far. Inspirational

Post a Comment