Saturday, July 24, 2010

These ain't your grandmother's zucchini muffins

My grandmother never made zucchini muffins (her specialties were German potato salad, homemade biscuits, pot roast with mashed potatoes and chicken with homemade dumplings), but growing up a dear family friend always had an extraordinary amount of zucchini and inevitably would turn it into zucchini muffins/bread. As a child, I didn't appreciate the awesomeness of this baked confectionery but as a baked good obsessed adult I do, oh I do.

As I've written about before, I split a CSA this year with some friends. Zucchini is practically a staple in our box each week. I don't mind since I love lots of zucc and lots of zucc means I've been dying to make zucchini muffins.

I used this lowfat recipe and made alterations by doubling the nutmeg (love nutmeg), adding 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, using natural applesauce instead of canola oil, and substituting 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips for the raisins.


A cup of lovely zucchini shredded


Batter filled muffin cups awaiting the oven (sans walnuts for KG)


Hot out of the oven zucchini muffins with chocolate chips


After putting my altered recipe in this nifty recipe analyzer, it appears each muffin is only worth 94 calories and 1.6 grams of fat. A treat that will satisfy my baked good cravings, but won't produce a lot of guilt - success!


I also brewed some sun tea and infused it with fresh lemon and basil. How refreshing on this 100 degree summer day!