Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Walking in the dark

Last night KG, Miss Lynn and I took to the dark of night, armed with flashlights, to do a little hiking as part of the Team Green Full Moon hike.

Miss Lynn made quite the pre-hike spread for dinner including Lentil Walnut salad, Quinoa Blackbean and Corn salad, Squash Mac & Cheese and hummus with veggies and wasa crackers. Yum!


Afterall, it is National Salad Month, right?!


After fueling up, we set out on a 4.5 mile hike looping through Edwin Warner and Percy Warner parks. The trail was paved, which I was half-way relieved since I am really clumsy and have a tendency to roll my ankle for no reason at all. So, navigating tree roots in the dark wasn't exciting to me.


KG and Miss Lynn ready to go!

It was an especially overcast and cool night, so we didn't actually SEE the moon, but there were several deer along the way. We probably saw at least a dozen total throughout the hike.

So, have you ever walked in the dark? Well, let me tell you it's not as easy as you'd think. When it first started getting dark there was definitely an adjustment to be made. Every tiny crack looked like it could be an ankle buster.

Overall it was a nice to get out and do something after work that didn't involve a 2-for-1 special or other food item. I will definitely participate again - especially if a clear night presents itself.

There is a nighttime 5K in August I'm considering doing. I have to remember August nights are not generally in the 50s and overcast as last night was. I'll have to see how I feel about running in the balmy 100 degree evenings we tend to have in Nashville, but I thought it was an interesting event to say the least. Not as interesting as the Zombie Buffet 5K though. More on that later!