Monday, October 15, 2012

Hike to Virgin Falls

One of the things I decided after completing my first triathlon this summer was to take a break from endurance racing. This has been a hectic year of several races in a short amount of time and I was beginning to feel like I was jumping from one training program to the next, which in turn meant I was always training for something.

After 3 half marathons and a triathlon in 7 months I was ready to take back my weekends and do physical activity for fun again.

For friend KG's birthday weekend, she chose to celebrate by going on an 8 mile "strenuous" and "rugged" (both adjectives I've read describing this route) hike to Virgin Falls in Sparta, TN.

I don't know if words can describe how much this outing proves how much I've changed my life over the last 2 years. Two years ago I would have scoffed at KG's idea I would go on an 8 mile hike, nevermind the strenuous part.

In fact, 3 years ago KG took this same hike with some friends and I wasn't even invited. Because at that time in my life, I was not physically fit enough to last on this type of hike. Not to mention at my larger size I felt so clumsy and unbalanced that I was irrationally scared of heights. I could never imagine hiking the ledges we did during this hike.

Me on top on a rock mound enjoying the scenery of the first falls.

Virgin Falls
Me and KG on the Trail
Words can't describe how grateful I am that I was able to have the willpower and motivation to make the changes I have to lose over 100 pounds from my highest weight in 2008. I didn't realize at the time how much I was missing out on and I vow to never let myself be that way again. Whether I get to my ultimate goal weight or not, I am pretty darn happy enjoying life, and I'm able to do that whether I lose the last 40 vanity pounds or not.


1 comments:

marisol said...

How cool! It's amazing the things we can do now that we've lost weight. You gotta remember this feeling when you are feeling down. Remember that you can conquer anything you set your mind to.

Post a Comment