Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I'm in love...with chickpea salad (recipe)

I'm in love.

Not with a guy...no, no this is much more special than that.

It's mashed Chickpea Salad. And you will be in love too.

Am I the only one that loves a good scoop of chicken salad? Despite 90% of the population's aversion to celery I love the crunch and flavor it gives the creamy mayo induced, protein filled, perfect lunch plate.

BUT....I don't know if I've talked about it much here, however, I have been "off" meat for awhile now. I'm not vegetarian - and I HAVE eaten it since this mood struck - however it doesn't ever sound good to me. At least in my own kitchen.

Last week, I ate at The Wild Cow. Nashville's neighborhood vegetarian and vegan friendly establishment. On this fateful night, I ordered the chickpea salad (made with veganese) as my side item and OH EM GEE I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since then.

It tasted like chicken salad - only with chick peas! Besides hummus, I've never been a huge fan of chick peas, so I have no idea what made me order this, but I'm glad I did.

I immediately started googling recipes that night to find what I thought would be a similar one found at The Wild Cow. Ding..ding..ding...I found this one.

I didn't have any Vegenaise, but I'm not vegan so no worries there. What I did have is the sinfully delicious Duke's Mayonnaise....oh yeah.

Here's my recipe based on the one above. You can, of course, substitute your own light mayo (or Vegenaise) for the Duke's, but why would you?

1 can Chickpeas
2 Tbsp Duke's Mayo
1 Tbsp Hellmann's Dijonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (or sweet pickles if that's your thing)
2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
1/2 tsp EVO
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.

1. Drain and rinse chickpeas, mash to desired consistency (I think it works better if there's not much "bean" shape left).

2. Add all ingredients and mix. Refrigerate a few hours to let flavors "meld".

A 1/2 cup serving is about 175 calories and 5 grams of fat. Not so bad if you pair it with a few Wasa crackers, baby carrots and canteloupe.


Not too bad considering some grocery store chicken salads can run 280 calories and 25 grams of fat.

I see a summer staple created here! What's your favorite go-to easy, summer meals?


2 comments:

marisol said...

I need to try this like tomorrow. I have all the ingredients but chickpeas.

Lately I am been eating a poached egg on a toasted thin bagel with a wedge of laughing cow. So good! And I am not an egg fan. Did you know you can poach an egg perfectly using saran wrap?

Unknown said...

This looks delish. I use to order the mock chicken salad at whole foods all the time. I may need to try this.

Post a Comment