In an attempt to really get my head on straight nutrition wise, I did a lot of pre-cooking this weekend. I knew after working 12 hour days this week I wouldn't feel like cooking anything when I got home.
On top of cooking both Friday and Saturday nights so I'd have left overs, Sunday afternoon I made shredded buffalo chicken in the crock pot and big ol' pot of black bean soup.
I really just made this up after taking a survey of what I had on hand (or was easy to pick up).
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cans (64 ounces) Black Beans
1 can (10 ounces) Mild Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (I used two cans to make it extra tomato-y)
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp hot pepper seasoning or chili powder
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 lime, juiced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Add olive oil, onion and garlic to dutch oven, saute until onion is translucent. About 5 minutes.
2. Add black beans, tomatoes and chicken stock to pan, stir thoroughly.
3. Add cumin, chili or hot pepper seasonings, hot sauce, and juice of lime. Stir to combine.
4. Bring to boil, then turn heat to simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Serve topped with your choice of reduced fat sour cream, 2% shredded cheddar cheese or tortilla chips.
Makes eight 1 2/3 cup servings.
My favorite part is it is so low in calories! This, with a dollop of sour cream, and a small apple makes lunch!
Or 1 cup with a wrap made out of the buffalo chicken makes dinner. I'll have to post the buffalo chicken recipe next. You'll laugh, it's so easy.
Seriously, what's better than an easy, Delicious meal?