Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Couch to 5K - Day 1

After a particularly trying day at work, (I'm not sure anyone other than myself will ever understand the frustrations of building 13 versions of a html email.) I didn't even hesitate heading to the gym afterwards - proud of myself for that one.

I go to the free employee gym, which is a nice perk. However, with over 22,000 employees and only approximately 9 tredmills this poses issues at times. Today was one of those times. Every. single. machine. was. occupied. I had to wait about 10 minutes for a tredmill and wait I did. Have I mentioned I don't particularly like the employee gym? Only skinny, fit people go to the employee gym. People that like to work out. I don't fit in there. I like the Y alot better, however, the budget just isn't allowing for an extra $45 a month bill. So, to the employee gym I go.

My main point is, I completed all of the week 1, day 1 time committment - 30 minutes of run/walking for a total of around 1.45 miles.

Here's how it broke down:
5 minute warm up at a 2 incline and around a 3.0 pace.
3 intervals of 60 secs running, 90 seconds walking, done at a 4.1/2.7 pace (still at the 2 incline)
4 intervals of 60 secs running, 2 min walking, done at a 3.9/2.7 pace (decreasing the incline by half each time until the last interval was 0 incline)
5 minute cool down at 2.7

So I didn't complete day 1 as prescribed by the program, but I DID complete 30 minutes of run/walking! My speed isn't ground breaking, but I just listened to my body. When I felt like I couldn't go further, I took my recovery walks to 2 minutes instead of 90 seconds, but I never walked longer than 2 minutes in between runs.

Previous C25K attempt

Not sure if I mentioned this but around January of this year I tried Couch to 5K for the first time. I did week 1 twice and fell off after doing week 2. So after 3 weeks, I quit. This time I am only planning on repeating the week if I don't feel like I have accomplished that week's intervals. If I get to my 3rd run this week and cannot keep the 60/90 second pace, then I will repeat week 1. My main goal is to not quit.

Unfortunately, I haven't built that much time into my training schedule, I only have 10 weeks until my race, so this may mean I run/walk the 5K in October and then fully run another 5K in November or December. We'll see.

Has anyone else tried the Couch to 5K program? What were your results?


Stephen said...

I love your attitude!!! NOTHING IS GOING TO STOP YOU!!! I'll be joining you in October at that Oktoberfest run, and I can't wait!!! More than likely I will be walking it, but I can dream of running it.

Anyway, keep up the great work!!!

Post a Comment