Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Right choice vs. the easy choice

Yesterday on the way to work it was gross and raining out. I left early to arrive with enough time to prepare for a 9am meeting. About half-way to work - BAM - some chick rammed her Crystler Pacifica into the rear end of my car.

I'm pretty sure I shouted a million expletives after impact.

I missed my 9am meeting and coupled with the fact it has been a busy week at work, I was thrown off the rest of the day. Also, I left work late to make up for the time I missed that morning. Who wants to go to the gym after THAT kind of day?

I didn't want to. But I did.

What makes us choose the right choice verses the easy choice? Over the last 4-6 months I've worked really hard to eliminate excuses from my decision making. If I would have chosen to NOT go to the gym and walk my 4 miles last night, then I would have been making a piss poor excuse. There was no physical reason why I couldn't go to the gym. Because I had a bad day? Wrong - exercise relieves stress. Because I left work late and wouldn't get home until 7:30 pm if I went to the gym? Suck it up, eat a snack and get to the gym.

Yes, I did get home 12 hours after I left my house that morning. And yes that sucks, but did it hurt me? No.

When you want to make an excuse and take the easy way out of something, I encourage you to take a look at really WHY you are making that excuse and evaluate if it's the right choice or the easy choice.